Title: Spirit of Progress / Chris Banger and Phil Dunn.
Author: Banger, Chris, (author.)
Other Authors: Dunn. Phil, (author.)Australian Railway Historical Society. New South Wales Division, (issuing body.)
Published: Alexandria, NSW : Australian Railway Historical Society (New South Wales Division), 2019.
Content Types: textstill image
Carrier Types: volume
Physical Description: 376 pages : illustrations (some colour), map ; 30 cm.
- Route map
- Chapter 1. Developing the concept and securing the funding
- Chapter 2. The Melbourne – Sydney interstate rail service and its competitors in 1935
- Chapter 3. A railway enthusiast’s trip between Melbourne and Sydney in the mid-1930’s
- Chapter 4. Building the new train
- Chapter 5. The S class locomotives
- Chapter 6. The September 1937 timetable and the test runs
- Chapter 7. Launching the new train and its early years of operation
- Chapter 8. The Spirit of Progress between 1937 and 1939
- Chapter 9. The war and post war years
- Chapter 10. Modifications to the S class locomotives between 1938 and 1950
- Chapter 11. The Spirit of Progress – 1951 to 1961
- Chapter 12. Evolution of the standard gauge Spirit of Progress
- Chapter 13. The positioning run and the last run of the broad gauge Spirit of Progress
- Chapter 14. The standard gauge service
- Chapter 15. Brief notes on overnight relief trains
- Chapter 16. Celebrations to mark the anniversaries of the Spirit of Progress entering service
Notes: Includes index.